Portfolio

Back to portfolio categories

New Regent Street

New Regent Street is a precinct of 40 individual shops built in the Spanish Mission Revival Style. It was originally opened in April 1932, one of the few developments to occur in Post-Depression Christchurch.

Much of the Ground Floor structure and finishes had been compromised, so the project became a balance of protecting and retaining the surviving original fabric, while introducing new structure and finishes in a sympathetic manner.The original patterned tiles were sourced on a close-as-possible matching basis. New shop fronts and stairs were constructed based on the pattern of the original fabric. A new continuous concrete floor slab was laid to strengthen the structure, and recycled t&g flooring overlaid.

New Regent Street was re-opened in April 2013, exactly 81 years after the original, at a time when Christchurch again needed a boost of optimism. This project provides an important message that the devastating earthquakes have not destroyed all of the city’s valuable Architectural Heritage.

assets/Uploads/NRS13.jpg assets/Uploads/NRS14.jpg assets/Uploads/NRS16.jpg assets/Uploads/NRS17.jpg assets/Uploads/NRS18.jpg assets/Uploads/NRS19.jpg
Icons made by Freepik, Balraj Chana, Google from www.flaticon.com is licensed by CC BY 3.0